Friday, January 11, 2013

Making Glue Dots

I'm excited today to share with you my adventures in making glue dots.  I posted a video a few weeks ago showing how to make your own glue dots using Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over Glue.  I purchased mine at Michael's, but you can also find it online for a reasonable price at Amazon.  Here's what I did...


Instead of working at my desk, I decided to pull out a TV tray and work there.  It made it much easier to move the glue dots out of the way while they dried.  I used waxed paper, glue and my trimmer.  


I pulled off a fairly long piece of waxed paper.  I decided to put my glue dots on strips, so I cut waxed paper strips 2.5" wide.  The waxed paper cut beautifully using my paper trimmer.  Once I had several long strips, I folded each in half and laid them out on my tray.  


I then started squeezing out glue dots like a mad woman!  I made some big and some small, just to see what I like best.  I put them fairly close together so I could fit quite a few on each piece of paper.


I made enough to fill the entire tray.  I was watching a movie (The Proposal....Love it!) while I made them so it seemed like it went pretty quick.  I moved the tray out of the way and set it aside for them to dry.


I let them dry for about 24 hours.  As you can see above, they dry almost clear.


Remember earlier when I said to fold your waxed paper in half?  I only put dots on half of the sheet so I could fold the other half over on top.  This will keep your glue dots from sticking to each other while you store them.


Here are all my lovely dots!  I made 14 sheets of dots with approximately 84 dots on each sheet.  That gives me approximately 1176 glue dots!  What's fabulous is I didn't even use half the bottle to do this.  I would say you could easily get 4000-5000 dots from one bottle of glue.  Talk about saving money!  Woohoo!!

I am totally loving these babies!  They are very sticky and have worked wonderfully for me so far.  Have any of you tried them yet?  I'd love to hear about your experience if you have.

Have a great weekend!
Cheryl







5 comments:

  1. I have got to do this! Folding the wax paper-brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I loved seeing how to make these glue dots! I already have the Aleene's Over and over again, so I'm set to go. I use Aleene's goop to restick (make sticky again) my cricut mats. I mix it half and half with water, i.e., 3 Tbls spoons goop plus 3 Tbls water and mix well. Be sure and use a small container with a ight fitting lid 'cause you won't be able to use the container again for anything else. I tape off my mat after cleaning it thoroughly and use a foam brush to paint it on. I go over mine a couple of times and then set aside to dry. Next day, new sticky Cricut mat! Thanks for letting us know about the great glue dots. This is a real money saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta get me some Ayleen's over and over. (Must be available over here surely)!
    You have shown the way Cheryl! Thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rooted around in my glue stash and there it was!! I made loads of glue dots and BOY!! do they STICK!! Thanks Cheryl! Job done! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the wax paper work? Other posts said not to use wax paper....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you!