Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Product Review - Martha Stewart Scoring Boards

Don't you just love the feeling of coming home after a trip to the local craft store, opening your bags, and digging through all your new goodies?  It's the best!  My birthday was in September and I received some money that I've been waiting to spend, so I finally took it to Michael's and Hobby Lobby.  I got several 6x6 paper pads and the new Martha Stewart Mini Scoring Board.  I love all of it!  Today, I want to review both of Martha Stewart's scoring boards and compare the two.



I have always been a huge fan of Martha Stewart's products.  Even when she went to jail, I still loved her.  Of course, she wasn't guilty so the poor thing was stuck there pondering her innocence!  OK, I'm only kidding.  I just like to say she's not guilty because it gets my husband riled up.  On to the product...

This is the first scoring board I owned, so I cannot make a comparison to the ScorPal or others, but I must say, I'm pretty impressed with it.  One advantage is has over others (or so I've read...) are the grooves every 1/8".  The envelope tool that is also quite handy, especially when making odd shaped cards that need a pretty matching envelope!  

The only thing I'm not in love with is the scoring tool.  I have used mine a lot and the edge has worn down quite a bit.  Unless I'm scoring really thin paper, I use my Cricut scoring tool in place of the tool that came with it.  The MS tool will work just fine, but the tip is worn and rounded now and I get a crisper line from the sharper, metal tipped Cricut tool.

If you were going to own only one scoring board, I would recommend this one.  If you ever make boxes or bags, you'll want the bigger board to accommodate 12 x 12 sheets of paper.  

Moving right along...


Martha Stewart Crafts Mini Scoring Board

Congratulations!  The original scoring board had a baby.  And she's really cute!  I was blog hopping the other day and happened upon a post about this fab new product by Martha.  OMG.  I was so excited, I ran right out and bought it!  The rational part of my brain kept telling me I didn't need two scoring boards, but the irrational, craft-addicted part said "DO IT!".  So, I did.  And I don't regret it for a second.

The smaller board measures approximately 6.5" x 12".  It comes with a scoring tool, which snaps in place on the top of the board.  This tool is thinner and more contoured then the tool that came with the original board I bought and I think it's a much better design.

If you flip this baby over, there's an envelope template/maker on the back.  It has grooves for you to score your enevelopes and a printed chart with card and envelope sizes.  In my opinion, this works much easier than the tool on the older board.

Overall, I think the features of the mini are nicer than the full sized version.  The fact that it's smaller means I can leave it on my desk while working and it's not in the way.  This is a huge plus for those of us with small work spaces.  The price is around $10 and, for me, that cinches the deal!

You can find the products I mentioned on Amazon.

                             

Have any of you bought the new mini scoring board?  What do you think?

Have a blessed day!
Cheryl


3 comments:

  1. I really like my MS scoring board, I haven't tried any others, but I'm pretty happy with the one I have! Love your product reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only score board is the MS large one. I love it because of the 1/8 in. marks and the envelope tool that is with it. I seldom use that part but is nice to have when I do make an odd sized card. The bone folder that comes with it has worn down as you said, so I bought an EK Success bone folder which does give me a crisper fold line. I just have to remember not to use as much pressure as I sometimes rip the paper. I do love the MS scoreboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the review! i went out looking for it my micheals didnt have it yet :( will keep looking

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you!