Monday, September 10, 2012

Magic Eraser = Fabulous

Last week, I posted a few quick tips I'd found on Pinterest; one of them being to use a Magic Eraser to clean your Cricut mat.  I mentioned I would try it this weekend and I did!

Ewww!!  Here's my nasty mat before I started.  I have had this mat for over a year now and I continue to re-stick it using a glue stick.  Normally, I wipe my mats down with a baby wipe after I'm done using them for the day.  And it still looks this icky!

I got out my trusty Magic Eraser and started scrubbing.  I began to notice the mat started to look cleaner as I went, but the adhesive began roll off the mat.  It was quite a mess for a bit.  I worked in sections, so I would scrub for a while, then wipe all the pieces of goo off with a baby wipe, then scrub some more.

After a few minutes, I decided to use my brain and began scraping off the goo with my handy dandy Cricut tool.  This was much better than wiping with a baby wipe or paper towel.  I decided the best method is to scrub an entire section, then scrape off the goo.

(Please disregard my lovely chipped nail polish on my middle finger!  The glue I used earlier in the day decided to take some polish with it when I wiped it off!)

As you can see here, I've done all but one section.  What a difference!

Here's a side by side comparison of the same spot on the mat, before and after cleaning.  Wowza!  I love it!

After this I got all excited and took the Magic Eraser to my Martha Stewart Scoring Board, my pink, self healing mat and anything else on my desk that had a mark on it!

Overall, I think this is a great item to use on your mat.  Once I was done, the mat was super sticky again and I didn't even have to use the glue stick.  It probably took me 15-20 minutes total.  Of course, that includes me stopping every couple of minutes to show my hubby the goo and the clean sections of the mat as I went.  He was not as thrilled as I.  He just doesn't understand the joy of a clean Cricut mat.

I'd love to know if you try this and if you love or hate it.

Have a blessed day!
Cheryl