Monday, September 10, 2012

Magic Eraser = Fabulous

Last week, I posted a few quick tips I'd found on Pinterest; one of them being to use a Magic Eraser to clean your Cricut mat.  I mentioned I would try it this weekend and I did!

Ewww!!  Here's my nasty mat before I started.  I have had this mat for over a year now and I continue to re-stick it using a glue stick.  Normally, I wipe my mats down with a baby wipe after I'm done using them for the day.  And it still looks this icky!

I got out my trusty Magic Eraser and started scrubbing.  I began to notice the mat started to look cleaner as I went, but the adhesive began roll off the mat.  It was quite a mess for a bit.  I worked in sections, so I would scrub for a while, then wipe all the pieces of goo off with a baby wipe, then scrub some more.

After a few minutes, I decided to use my brain and began scraping off the goo with my handy dandy Cricut tool.  This was much better than wiping with a baby wipe or paper towel.  I decided the best method is to scrub an entire section, then scrape off the goo.

(Please disregard my lovely chipped nail polish on my middle finger!  The glue I used earlier in the day decided to take some polish with it when I wiped it off!)

As you can see here, I've done all but one section.  What a difference!

Here's a side by side comparison of the same spot on the mat, before and after cleaning.  Wowza!  I love it!

After this I got all excited and took the Magic Eraser to my Martha Stewart Scoring Board, my pink, self healing mat and anything else on my desk that had a mark on it!

Overall, I think this is a great item to use on your mat.  Once I was done, the mat was super sticky again and I didn't even have to use the glue stick.  It probably took me 15-20 minutes total.  Of course, that includes me stopping every couple of minutes to show my hubby the goo and the clean sections of the mat as I went.  He was not as thrilled as I.  He just doesn't understand the joy of a clean Cricut mat.

I'd love to know if you try this and if you love or hate it.

Have a blessed day!
Cheryl

9 comments:

  1. I'm certainly impressed, but what is a Magic Eraser and where do you get one?
    Please reply...I NEED a clean, sticky mat NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat:
      You can find them about anywhere. Walmart is where I purchase mine.
      Magic Erasers are a Mr. Clean product.
      Hope information helps! - Alisa

      Delete
    2. Also the Pink Stamper has a how to on utube as to how to make clean mat sticky again. See - Episode 69 - Making your Cricut mat sticky again.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hArOVBiOY&feature=fvw
      Fabulous!! - Alisa

      Delete
  2. WOW!! im going try this this weekend, i have alot of mats i need to clean

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,

    I am new to Cricut. And this is a great idea. I will have to try it when I do get going on scrapbooking. So, you didn't have to restick the mat? It just got sticky on its own? How long does the mat stay sticky for? Great idea on your mat though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to re-stick my mats many times, however, this removed the gunk without totally removing the sticky. The original sticky on a new mat will stay for a while. Once it starts becoming un-sticky, you can wipe the mat down with a baby wipe, then go over the mat with a Scotch repositionable glue stick. This is the method I use every few months on my mats.

      Delete
  4. I clean my mats with Goo Gone, the thick kind in a spray bottle. I let the GG work for awhile, softening the old adhesive and gunk, then scrape everything off with my bone folder, wash off residue with soap and water, and dry the mat. Using masking tape, I tape off the mat margins, then brush on a coat or two of Aleene Tack It Over and Over diluted 50% with water--a very little goes a long way. The mats dry overnight on a flat surface, and the next day are ready to go. I generally place my hands flat on newly cleaned and adhesived mats to get rid of some of the stickiness if they're too sticky.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you!