Monday, August 28, 2017

Pen Review - Staples Felt Tip Pens

I'm a sucker for a pretty pen.

This should come as no surprise to you if you've been around me (or read my blog) for any length of time.  I see those glorious pen bodies, in all the colors of the rainbow, and I must have them!

I was a gel/rollerball pen snob for much of my writing life.  Once I discovered gel pens, I left the world of ballpoints behind for a better way of writing.

Then came 2001.  I started dating my husband, who was taking some college classes at the time.  We swung by the school bookstore one night on our way to dinner and of course, I had to check out the pen section.

In that moment, my life changed forever.

I discovered Staedtler Triplus fineliners.

As I saw the rainbow display boasting 20 colors of inky goodness, I knew I had to have them. (They now have more colors - Yea!)  So, I looked at Charles with my sweetest expression and he dropped thirty bucks on a set of pens.  This was the moment I knew he was truly in love with me, by the way.  I mean - if a man buys you good pens, you've found your soul mate.

From that day forward, felt tip pens (also known as fineliners) replaced gel pens as my favorite.  And 16 years later, they're still one of my most loved sets.

There's a fine line between a good felt tip pen and a fine point marker and every time I see a new brand or style, I must buy them.

Last week, I found these:


They were around $7.00, which is a decent price for 12 pens.


Aren't they beautiful? I know.  It's hard to stop staring.


I opened them up, took pics, then promptly started writing with them.  And they are pretty good.  They are no Staedtlers, but I don't regret buying them.  

One complaint I have is the nubs on the pen body. (As you can see in the pic above)  They hurt!  After just a few minutes of writing, my finger hurt from those prickly bumps.  I don't quite get the point of them - Maybe they're supposed to be a grip?  

As for the ink flow, I feel they're a little stiff but after you write for a few minutes, they loosen up and the ink flows more smoothly.

Would I buy them again?  Probably, but only because my goal is to have a set of every pen at the store.  Yes, I'm serious.  Don't judge me.

I will use them but not all the time.  I cannot deal with those prickly nubs.

And that's my 2 cents.

Some of my favorite fine liners (including the Staedtler's) are:

             

As always, if you use the links above, it helps support Pink and Paper.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing from you!